Thứ Bảy, 25 tháng 12, 2010

A simple wreath of avoidance

DSC_7961
I am really dragging my feet on getting out the wise craft Christmas decorations. I mean, is it really, truly Christmas? So soon?
Instead of facing the thousands of decoration-filled boxes we have in the basement, I did what makes to total sense to no one but me.


I made a new wreath.
DSC_7967
I totally blame seeing things like this and this. I was playing around with the blues, greens, grays, and creams in all my craft supplies (attempting, rather successfully, to waste some time) and came up with this wreath for our family room. Its not a complicated project, but expect to feel like its taking forever to wrap the yarn around the styrofoam wreath form (or maybe that's just my impatience).
Leaves and Berries Wreath (also known as the Wreath of Avoidance)
Supplies:
a styrofoam wreath form, 11" in diameter
yarn to wrap the wreath form (I used a hunter green)
scraps of yarn in various colors that you love (I used a dark and light heather gray, pea green, cream)
scraps of wool felt for the leaves
small wooden beads of various sizes (I actually used small round white ornaments, use anything round that you can glitter)
glue, preferably with a brush applicator
glitter (my all-time favorite glitter is Martha's, the shades are stunning) in coordinating colors.
hot glue gun

To make:
1. Paint a section of the wreath with a little glue (like a 1" x 1" square) and start wrapping the yarn. Continue wrapping until you've covered the wreath form. Put a little glue on the last bit of yarn to secure it. Allow to dry while you make the "berries" and leaves.
2. To make the yarn berries, I wrapped yarn around a few of the wooden balls to look like small balls of yarn, varying the sizes.
3. To make the glittered berries, I completely covered the small ornaments I used with glue and glitter. Do what you like best, but make several in lots of colors to add to your wreath (I had 20 berries total and used almost all).
4. To make the leaves, trace lightly on your wool felt (or better yet use a disappearing marker) and freehand simple leaves and cut out. Make a few more than you'll think need. I didn't cover my entire wreath, but you may want to cover much more than I did.
5. Now the fun part. Heat up the glue gun (well, that's not fun). Loosely lay out where you'd like to put the leaves and berries, then begin gluing into place. You're done!
DSC_7977
There's still time to win the book and bunny set from Rae!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét